hero_v2hero_v2

Capturing the spirit of Imagine RIT — a festival of innovation and creativity. Each spring, Over 30,000 people converge on RIT's campus to explore the 400+ students exhibits and performances. As the winner of the festival’s annual poster contest, my design was used for all online promotions. Over 5,000 posters were also printed and distributed to attendes and the Rochester commnunity. For display at the festival, I had the opportunity to animate the poster with a small team of designers.

Client
Class Project

Duration
3 Weeks, Spring 2016

Role
Concept, Illustration, Animation, Direction

It's alive, it's alive, IT'S ALIVE!

To translate the static poster design into a looping machine, we established a standard in which all elements were animated in "units of s'mores". All elements were animated in proportion to the time it took one s'more to proceed one step forward in the assembly line for a total loop of 12 seconds. This allowed us to created a unified mechanic movement for the poster. Each element was animated separately and was then composited into the greater system.

Concepting

How do I represent Imagine RIT in a way that is refreshing and unique from past contest winners?

Many poster winners of the past had focused on the same few themes as a way of depicting RIT as a technology school - space, robots, or mascot tigers. I really wanted to deviate from these past solutions, creating something that was FRESH™ yet still managed to capture the same spirit of innovation embodied by these earlier posters. I focused on three main goals in concepting my solution.

GOAL 1 - CHAOS

Convey the fun energy of the festival and the way that the campus is alive and buzzing with students and visitors

GOAL 2 - DIVERSITY

Highlight RIT's unique blending of creativity and technology and representing the broad range of activities on campus

GOAL 3 - ICONS

Include notable aspects of RIT culture and staple exhibits as easter eggs for people viewing the poster

working_v1working_v1

"3D or not to 3D?" -Hamlet

I started off building a 3D model of an imagine machine in Cinema 4D. With only a basic knowledge of the program, this was frustratingly slow. I moved then to Illustrator, trying to fake 3D using the program's isometric capabilities. However, it proved difficult to keep all of the elements in perspective with one another without having an actual 3D space to relate them. I ultimately chose to move to a flat, 2D design, realizing that acheive my goals equally as effectively in 2D.

mood_wide_v1mood_wide_v1

Architecting the system

My goal was to make viewers want to spend time with the poster. I created several main paths that the user could follow through the piece and then filled the rest of the space with various objects that the viewer could explore. The poster needed to convey the key information from afar (like the event name and year), but also needed to reward the viewer for coming closer - progressive disclosing information in a sense to prompt closer engagement. I hoped that the poster would transcend from a simple static image to something more of an experience.

big-image_v1big-image_v1
poster-mockup_v1poster-mockup_v1