hero_v1hero_v1

Known already for its quality mattresses, Beautryrest is perfectly poised to take on the bedding market. With a proposed line of duvets, bedsheets, blankets, and pillows, Beautyrest needs comprehensive tools that allow consumers to test the look of their products online and in-store. My application allows users to design custom rooms using Beautyrest products and helps them to easily share, locate, and purchase their dream bedrooms.

Client
Class Project

Duration
1.5 Weeks, Fall 2016

Role
UX, UI

01 - Feature

Product
Hotspots

Click a product hotspot to pull up a bottom menu and swap the product for one in a different color, pattern, or design. By making the product itself the access point for changing that product, the user inituitively knows how to work with the design tool.

02 - Feature

Product Cards

When users find a product design they like from the menu, they can simply hover and select or click to view more options within the product design. When viewing more options, the product card flips and allows users to click left and right through the different variations.

03 - Feature

Product
List Items

Users can review the list of product items selected, deleting or hide from view the products that they don't wish to purchase or share. For more information about the product, users can click for more details. 

screen-image_v1screen-image_v1

Supporting Design

From Online to In-Store

While many consumers like to seek design inspiration online, the majority of consumers still prefer to feel products like bedsheets in-store before making a purchase. However, finding the right bedsheets in-store can be overwhelming with inundated aisles of different thread counts and sheet styles. To simplify this process, I created a display that would organize Beautyrest's bedsheets by texture and quality, speaking directly to what consumers are looking for in their search. With each type of bedsheet comes a small swatch of fabric, allowing consumers to feel the fabric without opening the bedsheet packaging and making the packages unsellable.

Menus, menus, and more menus

While concepting, I explored many different menu structures for displaying product options. It was tricky to find a solution where the menu could have the important product image visuals without the menu taking up to much real estate of the page. It was crucial for the user to be able to make their product choices with the context of the bedroom image. I played around with transparent menus, hotspots, and different ways of reducing or cropping the image of the bedroom scene before coming to a solution.

• gallery-image
  • gallery-image

Sleeping in Style

Focusing on the idea of a bedroom as a retreat and the primarily upper-income, female audience, I aimed for sophisticated luxury. I worked within the Beautyrest brand, trying to create a design that was elegant and not masculine despite the dark tones. With the large amount of content and information, I also worked to keep the design simple, clear, and modern.

mood_wide_v1mood_wide_v1

Designing for Design

• gallery-image
  • gallery-image
  • gallery-image
  • gallery-image
  • gallery-image
  • gallery-image

With the large amount of information and options, it was important to guide the user through the desired actions. While designing is a fairly non-linear and exploratory process, it was important to give the process a structure in order to ultimately guide the user to a potential purchase. I displayed the process steps linearly as a navigation bar and prompted the user to continue with a button to the right of the screen. I also worked to keep the user focused on one step at a time, allowing them to be working with only one primary product or action at a time.

big-image_v1big-image_v1
laptop-mockup_v1laptop-mockup_v1